Start X-server question

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jan 20 08:38:09 PST 2006

I wrote:

> Since I couldn't guess the reason of this failure, could you please
> mail me (privately) the following files:
>
> 1) /var/log/Xorg.0.log with the old monitor, without "Modes"
> 2) /var/log/Xorg.0.log (the failed one) with the new monitor, without
> "Modes"
> 3) /var/log/Xorg.0.log with the new monitor, with Modes "1280x1024".
>
> In all three cases, just press Enter at the boot prompt, because I
> don't want results skewed by the presence of the "vga=..." parameter.

Stephen sent me logs for cases (2) and (3), and the problem is now
obvious. I still need (1) in order to see how a good LCD display behaves
with the "nv" driver.

Just for the record:

Without the "Modes" line, the X server wants to set the 1792x1344 at 60Hz
mode because it fits into the advertised sync ranges of the monitor. But
that's obviously impossible on Philips 190B. So the "Modes" statement is
indeed the right solution.