Start X-server question

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jan 19 02:09:05 PST 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:

>Hi Alexander
>

>>Why not just "linux" or even just press Enter without typing
>>anything?   What's the result for X?
>>

>I did both before venturing editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  None of them
>can work.  X server failed to start with the same warning.  But both of
>them worked on the old 15" NEC LCD Monitor, model LCD1560N, which has
>been removed.

Thanks for the report. In fact, it's rather strange that your old
monitor worked with this CD (but see below).

Once we figure out all details, I am going to add this to the README
file on the CD.

>>This card has a label from Winfast (that means absoluely
>>nothing) and the chip from either ATI or nVidia. Which of the two?
>>

>NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)

That's much more precise, thanks.

Does your video card have DVI output? If so, is your new monitor
connected to DVI or VGA output? What about the old one?