Start X-server question

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 08:11:35 PST 2006

Hi Alexander,

Tks for your comment.

> why not some 17" or 20" LCD monitor? 19" monitors don't offer better
> resolution over 17" and often have worse reaction time.

20" LCD Monitor with 1600x1400 resolution is avalable but its price is
too expensive.  I'm not doing graphic editing nor to game only for
reading/editing text.  I can accept lower resolution. 1280x1024.
However it offers bigger viewing panel and its price is quite
interesting.

> Mistake #1: setting vga=... parameter when you are going to use X.
> Tthe
> vga=... value has nothing to do with the mode that the X server sets,

Re-tried boot as "linux=1280x1024x24/16"  Non of them can work.
X-server still can't start with same warning displayed;

CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO
MOD, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY
INPUT 1280X1024 at 60HZ

> Mistake #2: not telling us the video card model.

Winfast 3D graphic card with 32MB Ram.  Sorry can't have its full
detail available immediately.

- snip -

> >Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
> >

> That's probably correct. But LCD monitors work best at their native
> resolution, thus, please remove "1024x768".

Noted with tks.

> Does it start without additional help (i.e.: without
>
> the "Modes" line) if you don't use the vga=... parameter?

It needs the "Modes" line but booted without linux=xxx

B.R.
SL