Environment in Makefiles

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 14 17:50:52 PST 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> This simplification is important for me because it allows easily
> replacing all "chroot" commands with, e.g., invocations of
> qemu-system-x86_64.
>
> Do you agree with the proposed changes?

Actually, upon further reflection, no, I don't. It seems that somehow
you're missing something major in how the Makefiles work. When building
regularly, by issuing just 'make', the Makefiles never touch the chroot
targets included in the packages Makefiles. Those are only there for
when you want to build a package separately, ie, for debugging and
testing purposes.

For example, you hit an error on a certain package and you want to
figure out why it's failing. You can run 'make packagename-only-ch' and
it will use the chroot target within the sub-package Makefile and call
itself again once it has chrooted. Look at it a bit more closely -
you'll get it. :)

Perhaps there is a better way to do it, I'm not debating that at all.
But the reasons for your proposed changes are sitting upon a mistaken
foundation.