Cruft on the LiveCD

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Sun Jan 8 20:45:09 PST 2006

Steve Prior wrote:

> Slightly stupid question here, but what exactly is the concern over the
> CD size - it doesn't seem to be approaching the physical size of a CD yet.

With regards to the LiveCD, we want to have it functional but try to
keep the CD images as small as we can make to allow the functionality.
In regard to having Mozilla instead of Firefox/Thunderbird, Mozilla has
more apps in it (chatzilla and a few others i can't think of off the top
of my head) and has a smaller size.  So IMO, a good swap.

> If it is simply download size for people with slow connections, then
> you first have to ask yourself how small you'd have to shrink the CD
> to make it feasable for those folks.  The only other reason I see
> would be server bandwidth to distribute it in which case incremental
> changes do in fact help.

I haven't heard any complaints from the mirrors about bandwidth, so that
is still fine.  For people with slow connections, well, what can we say,
find a friend with a high speed connection or ask someone to download,
burn and mail ya a CD.  We won't be able to shrink the CD size
drastically, since 146MB are used by source packages that won't compress
much more (163MB now with the SVN LFS version).  So basically,  within
reason we try to optimize.  :)

Justin