xlockmore vs xscreensaver vs nothing

Alexander E. Patrakov alexander at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 8 08:42:59 PST 2006

Hello,

the current CD has a bug WRT locking the screen. If the root password
has not been set, pressing the lock button in XFCE produces no visible
effects, but leaves a xlock process waiting for your input. If you start
xlock from the terminal, it will ask you for a password to use for
unlocking the screen. This is not sane.

Also, earlier I expressed thoughts about replacing xlockmore with
xscreensaver because xscreensaver uses gtk2 and xlockmore uses core X
font protocol. Since the removal of bitmap fonts, xlockmore produces
messages like this:

can not find font "-adobe-courier-bold-r-*-*-34-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1",
using "fixed"

...but works when root has a password. My thought about xscreensaver
being better about fonts were untrue.

So:

1) xlockmore works with some warnings if root has a password and doesn't
work otherwise
2) the bug about a non-functional "lock" button is not really fixed
3) xscreensaver is not much better without spending some time and
removing the offending individual screensavers
4) it is possible to hide the "lock" button in the cleanup-panel.pl
script while compiling XFCE, that's what I will do if there are no
objections or alternative suggestions
5) suggestions to put bitmap fonts back won't be accepted: ugly in UTF-8
locales (Xorg bug).

Don't mail to patrakov at ums.usu.ru: the server is off until 2006-01-11
Use my GMail or linuxfromscratch address instead