req for help in linux

Matt Darcy lfs-list at projecthugo.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 04:40:38 PST 2006

William Harrington wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:59 PM, karpurapu sandeep wrote:
>

>> Sir,
>>   we are a group of linux enthusiasts tyring to build a linux distro
>> from scratch by using the LFS live CD as the host system.
>>
>> we are unable to create the directories like
>>
>>   binutils-build &
>>   gcc-build
>>
>> outside the source directory for unpacking the packages
>>
>> It is giving an error msg
>>

>> After typing the following msg at the below prompt
>>
>> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources$ mkdir -v binutils-build
>>
>> unable to create directory : Permission denied
>>

>> We kindly request you to give us a solution.
>>                                   Thanking you
>>                                       our group

Hi,

if you don't know how to check/change the permissions on a linux file
system, you do not have enough experience to build and use an LFS built
system, let alone build your own distro.

May I suggest you look at the prerequists in the LFS book and try using
a pre made distro to gain more experience of basic linux functionality.

Matt