problem

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 20:45:49 PST 2006

ivan smiljkovic wrote:

> when i type startx(livecd 6.1.1-3) my monitor is out of range.monitor
> is tft (benq fp767) and graphic card is ati 9200.How to fix that
> problem?How to edit xorg.conf?

There are three editors on the CD: vim, joe and nano. Use any of them.
If you can't, go away.

As for the changes themselves, you probably want to make the following
changes to the Monitor and Screen sections:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        # Frequencies below are from the manufacturer's site. Too bad
that your monitor doesn't report them properly.
        HorizSync 31-81
        VertRefresh 56-76
        # Try VertRefresh 59-61 if this still gives problems. Anyway,
your monitor is buggy.
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Please report if this helps.

Don't mail to patrakov at ums.usu.ru: the server is off until 2006-01-11
Use my GMail or linuxfromscratch address instead