Can I disable EHCI?

Dominic Hilsbos isomerx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 08:41:24 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:

> Dominic Hilsbos wrote:
> > LFSers:
> >
> > I'm building on a system that only has USB 1.1 ports (OHCI compatible)
> > but when I plug my USB key into a port I get the following errors:
> >
> > ehci_hcd  0000:00:1d.7: port 2 reset error -110
> > hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
> > hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> >
> > The key works beautifully with my Windows systems.
> >
> > I notice that the first line mentions EHCI, but as a 1.0/1 port I would
> > think that OHCI would be handling it, yes?
> >
> > As such is there a flag that I can send to the livecd kernel that will
> > tell it not to use EHCI, and if I do will it use OHCI?
>
> Sorry, no. However, you can remaster the CD according to the included
> instructions.
>
> > I need to be able to mount the USB key within the livecd environment, as
> > I need to replace the Bzip2 that comes on the CD, it's giving errors
> > when I try to decompress it.
>
> This is not reproducible with the CDs from year 2006. So it looks like one
> of the following bad things happened:
>
> * Bad download of the CD - verify the SHA1 sum of the iso against
> http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs-livecd/SHA1SUMS
>
> * Bad burn - please burn with the -dao or -raw crdecord flag, and verify
> the SHA1 sum of /dev/cdrom against
> http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs-livecd/SHA1SUMS
>
> * Your CD-ROM is manufactured before year 1999 and doesn't properly
> support DMA. Try booting with "linux ide=nodma" command line.
>
> * Bad RAM - as the CD itself is compressed, it is very sensitive to
> single-bit damages. memtest86+ is your friend.
>
> BTW, this might also fix the EHCI error.
>
> --
> Alexander E. Patrakov
>
> --

After sending the mail, I realized that I hadn't been untarring from the CD,
but from a copy of packages on the hard drive.  Untarring from the CD
corrects the problem with the packages, though I'm still not sure about the
USB HD problem.  Is EHCI supposed to be compatible with USB 1.1?  Or am I
right that OHCI supports that?