Can I disable EHCI?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Dec 21 21:04:45 PST 2006

Dominic Hilsbos wrote:
> LFSers:
>
> I'm building on a system that only has USB 1.1 ports (OHCI compatible)
> but when I plug my USB key into a port I get the following errors:
>
> ehci_hcd  0000:00:1d.7: port 2 reset error -110
> hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
> hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>
> The key works beautifully with my Windows systems.
>
> I notice that the first line mentions EHCI, but as a 1.0/1 port I would
> think that OHCI would be handling it, yes?
>
> As such is there a flag that I can send to the livecd kernel that will
> tell it not to use EHCI, and if I do will it use OHCI?

Sorry, no. However, you can remaster the CD according to the included
instructions.

> I need to be able to mount the USB key within the livecd environment, as
> I need to replace the Bzip2 that comes on the CD, it's giving errors
> when I try to decompress it.

This is not reproducible with the CDs from year 2006. So it looks like one
of the following bad things happened:

  * Bad download of the CD - verify the SHA1 sum of the iso against
http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs-livecd/SHA1SUMS

  * Bad burn - please burn with the -dao or -raw crdecord flag, and verify
the SHA1 sum of /dev/cdrom against
http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs-livecd/SHA1SUMS

  * Your CD-ROM is manufactured before year 1999 and doesn't properly
support DMA. Try booting with "linux ide=nodma" command line.

  * Bad RAM - as the CD itself is compressed, it is very sensitive to
single-bit damages. memtest86+ is your friend.

BTW, this might also fix the EHCI error.