LiveCd into RAM

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Dec 21 21:04:35 PST 2006

Christian Metzen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I really like the way the new LiveCD now works with a compressed ext2 fs and
> the c based init file.
>
> What would be really interesting if someone has an idea how i can change the
> LiveCD so that there is the possibility to load the whole system into RAM so
> that one can unmount the CD and insert another one, for example for burning
> issues etc.pp.

It is definitely possible, however, I won't do this myself in the nearest
future because my computer has only 512 MB of RAM. If you want to implement
this, check out the buildscripts from SVN, and do (non-trivial)
modifications to the following files:

packages/initramfs/init.c
scripts/shutdown-helper

The real problem is that you don't want to copy root.ext2 into RAM - it is
1.5 GB in size. You probably want to take the ISO image into a file, set up
/dev/loop2, and use it instead of the CD.