revising the scripts

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 3 09:11:23 PST 2006

Alexander,

Are you back to your regular routine now? Hope the conference went well.

I wanted to revisit the idea of revising and improving our build
scripts. I'm not sure what ideas you may have, but I'm anxious to hear them.

One thing that occurred to me which might prove helpful, especially when
developing the CD, is that we could have the main scripts use a
pre-generated tools tarball. We keep the necessary info in the scripts
to build the tools, but by default they grab one that we've already
built. We only ever need to build tools whenever something is changed
that affect them. This should cut down the regular build time by a good
deal. Thoughts?