x86_64 Status

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Apr 30 06:40:18 PDT 2006

John Gay wrote:

> That also sounds good, but what about pure64 -VS- Multi-lib 64? Is it
> possible/simpler/advisable to build Pure64 and then add 32bit compatibility
> when needed? That has been my plan, rather than fighting with multi-lib when
> I'm looking for mostly pure64. I haven't looked at Multi-lib in a while, just
> fighting with Pure64. My own faults, not the book!

The problem is not in 64 bits. The problem is that Sparc64 and x86_64 are built
according to a completely different book and have a completely different set of
BLFS packages. PPC is built according to the regular LFS and BLFS books.

In CLFS, the library directory, the compiler, and similar things are passed to
every package. Thus, the ./configure lines end up very different. I tried to
smooth the problem by creating config.site (and succeeded in that), but Ryan
Oliver ignored this because it hides the explicit configuration parameters and
thus is bad for education. So, the attempt to unify the ./configure parameters
failed for political reasons, and I had no intention to retry.