x86_64 Status

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Apr 28 09:40:37 PDT 2006

Thomas Pegg wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> It's been a while since I've done any work on the x86_64 CD, I'm sorry
> to say there won't be any more work on it for a while, at least not
> until I get another x86_64 system, the one I had is now serving another
> purpose at my mom's church.
>
> On a side note we really need to settle on what were doing to simplify
> the Makefiles to handle all arches, wether it be using config.site, etc.

I have an abandoned attempt to rewrite Makefiles in such a way that zero
poisoning of the environment occurs (so that, e.g., we don't have to prepend
"unset root" to every command in sysvinit installation). A proof-of-concept that
builds Chapter 5 is available at: http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/lfs-livecd.tar.bz2

However, I abandoned this work exactly because this is a major rewrite and
because I could not afford breaking non-i386 architectures. I will resume this
if I am allowed to make this i386-only.

OTOH, is it really any point in keeping non-i386 architectures in trunk?

1) the resulting CD is very different
2) a lot of ifdefs
3) x86_64 was just declared to be unmaintained
4) sparc64 CD simply doesn't build because of a forgotten "svn add silo".

(of course this doesn't apply to PPC which builds using the official LFS book
instructions with only minimal differences, and even has Xorg 7)