pcmcia modem support in livecd-x86-6.2-pre3

Howard hlenderk at bcpl.net
Thu Apr 13 06:52:33 PDT 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>  Could you please redo the "lsmod" after "insmod ./serial_cs.ko", or
> join the #livecd channel on irc.linuxfromscratch.org now for realtime
> debugging?
>
> (I promise: the summary will be posted to the list)

I can look into getting  on livecd irc channel tomorrow.

I went through the routine again with new instruction to:
modprobe pcmcia            first and then do:
insmode ./serial_cs.ko
  and this time successfully:)  Looks like that was the trick to get that
in, but I'm not seeng any change in ttyS[0-3] and dialing out shows same
results :
timeout on ttyS0,
Can't get terminal parameters: Input/output error   on ttyS[1-3]
I checked all the ways I did before and see no changes in anything.
Does something have to be restarted , like some the /etc/init.d/pcmcia I
have in RH9?
Where would you look for pcmcia serial assignment to show up?
-----
# insmod ./serial_cs.ko    (not a sound, thought it didn't work but...)
-----
# lsmod    (the full list, divisions show phases)
Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_generic            22036  0
slhc                    7296  1 ppp_generic
       ^^--ppp_generic--^^
serial_cs               8712  0
pcmcia                 21392  1 serial_cs
       ^^--pcmcia--^
ext3                   98180  1
jbd                    55576  1 ext3
nls_iso8859_1           4864  1
nls_cp437               6528  1
vfat                   11520  1
fat                    46876  1 vfat
       ^^--mount hda--^
yenta_socket           20360  3
rsrc_nonstatic         11648  1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core            43908  4 serial_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
-----
I have saved the serial_cs module on the hda for later reuse. I'm
thinking maybe I still need the  pcmcia-cs  utility.  I don't have any
of the init files in place and I think they come from that.  Maybe I
could track where everything goes from that and reinsert after each
boot.  (oh boy)  But I don't know.  What do you think of that?
Thanks for all the help,  interesting explorations for me,
-Howard