Generic X11 config?

Brian Burns wizard.rb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 12:04:24 PDT 2006

Hello everyone!

I'm generally not the type of person to ask alot of questions, since I
prefer to dig for the
answers myself. (I learn best this way) However, I've reached that point :)

I am relatively new to Linux. I have been extremely impressed at the
progress made
over the past few years, and as of a few months ago have decided that
Linux is the future!

I'm running OpenSuSE now as my primary desktop.
I have successfully built an LFS system (SVN-20060330),
and have added the KDE desktop using the current SVN BLFS book.
I have created a LiveCD from this, using the lfslivecd-x86-6.2-pre3 CD
as my reference.

The CD works fine on my PC, however I need it to work on "any" PC.
Right now, my biggest problem area seems to be the X11 config.
I have so many questions at this point I don't know where to start :)

I am very interested in becoming more proficient with Linux, and the
LFS/BLFS projects
have been exactly what I needed! But, I still have so much to learn.

So... any information, reference docs I might have missed, etc....
would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I could not find any "searchable" archive of this list, which
I'm sure would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Just for some background, my life with computers began in pre-Windows
DOS, then on to an MCP in Win95 and Win2K, CNA in Netware 5,
Visual Basic 5/6 hobbiest, then web development using MivaScript.
Examples of my MivaScript work can be found at
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/w/i/wizard_rb/miva/
Along with a related VB project (abandoned at this point) at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qbioss