pcmcia modem support in livecd-x86-6.2-pre3

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Apr 12 05:42:10 PDT 2006

Howard wrote:
> Helloo,
> I would like to be able to dial out while booted to the
> livecd-x86-6.2-pre3  but my pcmcia modem card does not properly detect.

> For comparison, in RedHat I get these pcmcia lines.
> serial_cs               5776   0 (unused)

Sorry, I missed this. The real problem then is that the serial_cs driver isn't
on the CD. Could you please boot the 6.2-pre3 CD and do the following commands
to compile this missing module, and tell whether they really work?

tar xf /lfs-sources/linux-2.6.12.5.tar.bz2 \
     linux-2.6.12.5/drivers/serial/{8250.h,serial_cs.c}
cd linux-2.6.12.5/drivers/serial
echo 'obj-m += serial_cs.o'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12.5/build SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
insmod ./pcmcia_cs.ko

(of course, I will add the module to the 6.2-pre4 CD, so that the quirk above
becomes unneeded)

Then try dialing out:

vim /etc/ppp/peers/dialup
modprobe ppp_generic
pppd call dialup

ONLY if this doesn't help, I will add pcmciautils to the CD.