pcmcia modem support in livecd-x86-6.2-pre3

Howard hlenderk at bcpl.net
Tue Apr 11 09:13:00 PDT 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Howard wrote:
>
>> Why isn't it included in the cd?  (pcmcia-cs  package)
>
> For two reasons:
> 1) I can't test whether the installation is correct, because I have no
> laptop.
> 2) This package is obsolete, the replacement is pcmciautils
> (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/pcmcia.html)
>
> I will add pcmciautils tomorrow, but I can't guarantee that this is
> done correctly. It will be much appreciated if you build the
> unofficial CD after that and report whether it works for you.

So you will be trying to add pcmciautils on the new 6.2-pre4  livecd now?
Will that be using the 2.6.16 kernel you spoke of a few days ago?
I'd be happy to try it out.  I'll keep an ear out for it's release.  I
hope it will boot on my AMD k6-2  laptop.  Thanks for attempting to keep
that capability in the livecd.

I have both utility packages downloaded.   pcmciautils is much smaller.
1271846 Apr 11 09:13 pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar.gz
45861 Apr 11 09:11 pcmciautils-012.tar.gz

I had looked at pcmciautils yesterday even though it was supposed to be
for >2.6.13 kernel  because of a recent post to their list where a guy
was using it semi successfully on a 2.6.12

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2006-April/003497.html
"My system is a desktop with a pcmcia cradle. After ugrading to kernel >
2.6.12 & installation of the pcmciautils package my system fails to
bring up the orinoco wireless card automatically after reboots. However
I can manually do a pcmcia-socket-start and operation is normal."

I think I will try it too.  If not, then pcmcia-cs.
Anyhow , I appreciate your attetion to this and I want you to know that
I am having fun and learning a lot just playing around with the cd.
 It's good excercise and you can always just reboot if things get fubar.
(just watch out for hda!)
And I haven't even started the build yet!
Thanks, Howard