Binutils doesn't configure in stage2

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Apr 5 14:45:04 PDT 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> So. For some reason which I haven't spotted yet, binutils in pass2 isn't
> creating the binary ld-new, but a bash script, which says in its header:
>
> # ld-new - temporary wrapper script for .libs/ld-new
> # Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4a-GCC3.0 (1.641.2.256
> 2001/05/28 20:09:07 with GCC-local changes)
> #
> # The ld-new program cannot be directly executed until all the libtool
> # libraries that it depends on are installed.
> #
> # This wrapper script should never be moved out of the build directory.
> # If it is, it will not operate correctly.

Ah, the joys of libtool...

;-)

If you want a dynamically-linked ld (probably not required), and you
want to copy it out of the source directory, then you're going to need
to change the:

cp -v ld/ld-new /tools/bin

line to be:

cp -v ld/.libs/ld-new /tools/bin

instead.  (At least I'm fairly sure the directory's name is .libs)  That
file should be an actual binary, not a wrapper script built by libtool.

(The wrapper script is built so that ld-new can be run from the current
directory, for tests and stuff like that.  libtool --mode=install will
grab the binary out of the .libs/ subdirectory and copy that to the
target directory, instead of copying the wrapper script.)

I'm not sure which method is better, actually (static ld versus copying
out of the .libs/ subdirectory).  But the latter should be possible.