Bug in binary /init

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 30 20:10:19 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> I am going to move from unionfs with bad bug history to known working
> cloop + devmapper. This requires either going back to shell scripts (for
> glibc-based bash) or learning (not well-documented) libdevmapper.so
> functions linking /init against this library. As for insmod, it is not a
> problem (in C) either.
>
> But I repeat: I don't think C is a proper language for scripting.

And I repeat, a C-based init is a far better option in this scenario.
There are far less packages to build, it's notably quicker, it works on
more architectures and you have a smaller initramfs.

Also, if you're going to do investigating into cloop and devmapper, if
my voice means anything, I request that you *not* put it into x86/trunk.
Investigate it in a separate branch, please.

Lastly, if the livecd team is willing to have me back, I'd like to say
that I have just enough time to help with that project once again. I
won't try to get involved in the other projects, but I would be happy to
continue working with livecd.