Bug in binary /init

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Sep 30 19:55:30 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Also, Alexander, are all the mounts that are done in the init still
> necessary? I tried to mimic what you had in the shell init, but I recall
> that a couple of them were workarounds to various bugs.

mount("/.union/dev/shm/.tmp", "/.union/tmp", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
still needed in order for glibc pass1 testsuite to pass.

Another workaround (for modules) is no longer there.

> I'm asking because on a recent CD I've tested, even though the file
> permissions are correct (I double and triple checked that), when you
> create an unprivleged 'lfs' user as per the case in the LFS book or the
> LiveCD scripts, su as that user, and try to compile a program, the
> compile will fail because the user gets 'Permission denied' errors when
> trying to read items in /usr/include/linux/

I am going to move from unionfs with bad bug history to known working
cloop + devmapper. This requires either going back to shell scripts (for
glibc-based bash) or learning (not well-documented) libdevmapper.so
functions linking /init against this library. As for insmod, it is not a
problem (in C) either.

But I repeat: I don't think C is a proper language for scripting.