Openssh-4.2p1 - can't login, doesn't ask for a password

Michael Løjtnant ml at zyxel.dk
Thu Sep 29 08:06:06 PDT 2005

Hi,

After successfully using the ALFS on the LiveCD to install a LFS system,
i'm trying to install the SSH-Daemon - but I can't.

I have installed the OpenSSL-0.9.8 with:

./config --prefix=/usr/local

Then I install OpenSSH-4.2p1 with:

groupadd sshd
useradd -g sshd sshd

LIBS="-ldl" ./configure --with-md5-passwords --sysconfdir=/etc/sshd
--without-zlib-version-check

The installation goes fine, and I can start the sshd damon:

/usr/local/sbin/sshd -Dddd

When trying to connect from another computer I get asked if I want to
add this host to the list of knows hosts. After answering yes the
connection is closed, instead of asking me for a password.

I have tried several different things to solve it.

    Installing older version of OpenSSL-0.9.7g
    Installing older version of OpenSSH-4.1p1
    Enabled MD5 passwords in login.defs
    Converted to shadow passwords (pwconv and grpconv)
    Changed the root passwords so it would be MD5 encrypted.
    Installed OpenSSH and SSHD user, acording to the BLFS description

If I install LFS manualy (Not using ALFS) I have no problem installing
and using the SSHD daemon.

--

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
Michael Løjtnant / Systems Engineer