info about ALFS + LIVECD

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Sep 27 21:18:10 PDT 2005

sacarde wrote:
> hi,
>    I would like to ask you if it possible run ALFS in distro LIVECD LFS 6.1.2.
> what steps are to be doing before run, ecc......
> can you help me to do that ?

view /root/nALFS-profile-LFS-6.1/README

Fix a simple typo in /root/nALFS-profile-LFS-6.1/runit.sh and run this
script.

If you are able to find and fix the typo, everything will "just work".
If not, you are disqualified from building LFS and asking further
support questions.

> - another question.....is possible to install on HardDisk LIVECD-LFS 6.1.2 ?

Yes, just boot the CD, make a partition, make a filesystem on it, mount
this filesystem somewhere and copy everything from "/" to there that
resides on the same filesystem. Be sure to preserve permissions. "info
tar" will provide you with the relevant options.

Then chroot there, remove LiveCD-specific bootscripts:

rm -rf /etc/rc.d /etc/sysconfig

Install the normal LFS bootscripts as the book says. Configure
everything as described in Chapter 7. Compile your own kernel since the
LiveCD kernel does not contain support for booting from hard disks.
Install the bootloader (GRUB) as described in Chapter 8.

This will result in a bootable Linux system on your hard drive. However,
if you do so, the following things are disallowed:

1) Calling this system "LFS", because you have not built it yourself and
because the LiveCD buildscripts contain some deviations from the book.
The "LFS-like system" name is OK.

2) Asking for support on LFS-related lists, because your system is not LFS.