bin86

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Sep 27 00:11:00 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Philipp Christian Ammann wrote:
>> hey guys,
>>
>> i'm using livecd-6.1-1 and had some problems compiling lilo, cause it
>> requires bin86.
>
> I think the LFS-liveCD's main (perhaps only?) purpose is to be able to
> build the version of the LFS book it is numbered after (i.e.
> livecd-6.1-x is designed to be a suitable host for LFS-6.1).  As such,
> bin86 isn't required as GRUB is used as the bootloader in LFS-6.1.

I consistently deviate from the LFS book by installing bin86, nasm and LILO,
since GRUB cannot be used in the partitionless LVM2 setup that is implemented
on my home computer. However, one should be able to install both bin86, nasm
and lilo inside the chroot. I will add them as packages present on the CD for
rescue purposes, but will not add their sources into /sources. If you need
sources, customize the CD as the README file describes.