BUG REPORT: variable exporting problems

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 26 16:33:17 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:

> Apparently the MP variable is not being properly passed from the parent
> makefile to the children. I know next to nothing about Makefile syntax
> so perhaps someone can shed some light on this?

This is a limitation in the current Makefiles in connection with the way
we chroot and su as lfs. In each case, the way we achieve automation is
by doing something like so 'su - lfs -c "make [target-name]"'

Or, something to that effect. What it means is that make is called
again, and the Makefile reloaded, and any variables you passed to it via
command line are lost.

Of course, it probably *could* be done in such a way that we pass any
conceivable variable through to the next call of make in the scripts,
but for now, it's just been easier to set the variables you'll want in
the main Makefile once and be done with it until the build is done.

Perhaps in the future we can look at getting this implemented in a
simple way.

p.s. Surprise, surprise! LFS isn't as easy to let go of as one might
think... And I guess I still think of the LiveCD project as my own, so
who knows, I may pop in now and then. ;)

p.p.s. Archaic I think you posted this (and the other question about
wget) just to see if you could pull me out of hiding. :P