LiveCD freezes

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Sep 23 20:10:05 PDT 2005

Bryan Burke wrote:
> I am trying to start the LFS LiveCD on a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop, but
> it freezes after it reads "Basic Cd-Rom Driver: Revision #" or something
> very close to that.  The CD starts up fine on my Dimension 2350.  Any
> help would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

I have the same with one of my servers. For me, it helped to type "linux
nodma" at the boot prompt and wait 2 minutes while the kernel figures
out how to get past this point (i.e. the "nodma" option is broken in the
current kernels). Please send mail to LKML (and a copy here) asking to
add your CD-ROM drive (specify the exact model, as in the output of cat
/proc/ide/hdb/model) to the DMA blacklist in drivers/ide/ide-dma.c.