Re-organizing the repo

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 19 11:05:37 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 23:21 -0400, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. Just waiting for Thomas now. :)

As far as moving it goes, I'm all for it, I figured you were probably
gonna do that at somepoint anyway. I do have commits pending to put in
x86/trunk for x86_64.

But before I do commit there are a some things I want to bring up. One
is numbering for patches, right now sequential order won't cut it to
well, right now I have several patches that are specific to x86_64
mainly because of the use of cross-lfs so I can do a sane multilib
build. I think we should do something similar to what Fedora does in
their specfiles where they group different types of patches together in
a different set of numbers.

For the livecd it would be like 1-10 are reserved for common patches to
all arches, then from there groups of 10 for arch specific patches for
each arch. I think this would lower the potential of having overriding
patch numbers, I already ran into this with the recent gcc4 upgrade, I
had to renumber some of the patches. It's not a big deal but would be
good thing for the future I think.

--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729 / Linux User : 298329