Remove rp-pppoe?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jul 29 22:13:11 PDT 2005

Hello,

the fact that the "adsl-setup" program that configures pppoe connections
is not dialog-based leads to inconsistent UI in the net-setup script.
Also, since the livecd kernel contains the working pppoe implementation,
there is no real need to keep that package.

Indeed, a working pppoe connection could be established without
rp-pppoe, by running the following commands:

modprobe ppp
modprobe pppoe
ip link set eth0 up
# Some ISPs require CHAP auth, the file is /etc/ppp/chap-secrets then
echo "test * password *" >>/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
pppd plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0 user test noauth

Therefore, I propose to remove rp-pppoe, adjust the example
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets, and create the /etc/ppp/peers/pppoe with the
following contents:

plugin rp-pppoe.so
eth0
user jdoe
noauth
hide-password
debug
defaultroute
noipdefault
usepeerdns
remotename pppoe

Then adjust our net-setup script so that it can edit that file.

Any objections? The rp-pppoe.so file is a part of ppp package, not rp-pppoe.