Understanding 32/64 bit issues

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 28 07:43:02 PDT 2005

Thomas Pegg wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 09:42 -0400, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>> Anyway, any objection to learning and using the Makefiles?
> No objections here, I'll do it just like I did with ALFS, learn the
> syntax and work with it.
> Even before I started working with nALFS and the profiles, I did my
> builds with some scripts I wrote, but then switched to nALFS, because I
> found it interesting, then as I got comfortable using it, I replaced my
> old scripts with it.

Great! So I'll work on getting you added to the proper group then.

Just a couple of things to mention. First, I think when building the
x86_64 CD, I think we should try to make it a native build and avoid any
cross-lfs stuff, at least for now.

Also the main livecd scripts, x86/trunk, are undergoing some renovation.
We're trying to optimize the scripts, make them a little more fluid,
hopefully easier to understand and better employing the power of make,
specifically its ability to pick up where it left off.

So. You're welcome to start now on a x86_64 build, however it might be
better to help us finish up the transition on x86/trunk and then we can
make a x86_64 build based on the new scripts.

To best learn the Makefiles, I suggest looking at the following:

Makefile (in the root directory)
scripts/functions
packages/template/Makefile

Those should help you get the idea of how the Makefiles work.

Thanks again, and looking forward to working with you on the LiveCD team! :)