Implicit rules for downloading packages

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 18 09:18:40 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> In fact there's no much weight in this indeed :)
>
> The only argument is the size of boilerplate stuff and my laziness to
> type or copy that (and adjust to the number of patches) when it really
> has to be done exactly once.

Yes, I can understand that ;)

> where $(URL-binutils-2.16.1.tar.bz2) and $(SHA-binutils-2.16.1.tar.bz2)
> are defined at the top of packages/binutils/Makefile as URL-$(FILE)=...
> and SHA-$(FILE)=...
>
> Hope this helps understanding.

Yes, thank you, this helps a great deal. :) Not trying to sound overly
critical here, but taking the time to describe the ideas and explain
your reasons for them will help them get accepted quicker. :)

So, your idea sounds nice - will have to see how it is in action...

Thanks, Alexander.