Status of the utf-8 branch

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Jul 17 01:18:50 PDT 2005

Hello,

Right now, the branch contains all LFS-related changes to the build
process, except sttyutf8 (new program), vim and bootscripts. There are
also issues with manual pages. Details:

sttyutf8: this perl script is available at:
http://chris.heathens.co.nz/linux/downloads/sttyutf8
It allows to modify the kernel builtin editor settings so that it knows
about the difference between character width and byte count. Strictly
speaking, not much needed, because programs tend to use readline instead
of the kernel builtin editor.

vim: not done yet, will be compiled after gtk+. Some of the official
updates target multibyte locales, so I am inclined to just apply
everything that the upstream provides. Right now, the chroot contains
"nano" and "joe" editors.

bootscripts: the console script has to be replaced in order to put the
console into Unicode mode.

manual pages: the NROFF setting to "/usr/bin/nroff -mandoc" works only
with ISO-8859-1 encoded manual pages. Since any (especially hackish)
reconfiguration is not desirable for the CD, I will either remove manual
pages that cannot be viewed in this configuration, or (if I get the
permission) switch to Debian-patched groff-1.18.1.1 and man-db.

Right now, the scripts build something chrootable that you can play with
(but not a complete CD yet).

Just start uxterm, unset LC_ALL, set LANG to the UTF-8 variant of your
locale (warning: use exactly this spelling and case, UTF-8), and chroot.
That chroot must also work in any traditional 8-bit locale in ordinary
xterm. Any non-UTF-8 regression is a severe bug.