SATA CDROM/DVD support still not functional

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Sat Jul 16 09:47:30 PDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:18:46 +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> William Harrington wrote:
>
>> When I defined ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI in libata.h it recognized my PX716SA and
>> attached it to sr0 and gave me sg0 and sg1. When I left it undefined it
>> did not recognize my PX716SA, just the WD Raptor (I know you all want
>> one of these). I suggest someone build a livecd with ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI
>> defined in linux-2.6.x.x/include/linux/libata.h and let me test it. I
>> really hate going into compatability mode and there are enough SATA
>> optical drives to support.
>
> See http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0507.1/2339.html for a
> question similar to yours and
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0507.1/2341.html for the
> kernel hackers response!
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt.

Thanks for the info, Matt.  After working with Alexander, we fixed it so that init was
searching for a cd with sr* device names instead of the deprecated scd* device names.
I defined ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI in the kernel source and built a kernel with the current
config. Made an ISO with Alexander's help and walla, it'll work on my pure SATA system now.
Thanks for the help guys. Writing support is not possible, however, reading support is working ok.
Now I don't have to put my system into compatible mode when dealing with this stuff.

William (Ratrophy)