SATA CDROM/DVD support still not functional

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Fri Jul 15 15:37:28 PDT 2005

Howdy there,

    Back in February, on the 28th, in this mailing list, I posted a message about the lack of SATA optical drive support in the 2.6 kernel. Now, someone replied with:

This change (ATAPI support in libata turned on by default) is already
queued for 2.6.11. Since that will be released very soon (likely this
week), you won't have long to wait for official support.

   So I look to goof around with the livecd again on the FULL SATA machine and uhm well, same junk. So I went to look into the kernel headers and it wasn't fixed.

include/linux/libata.h still has:

#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI         /* define to enable ATAPI support */

I don't think I ever built a kernel with it defined, but I am going to do that today and see what I get.  Do any of the devs have any more information on this topic?

William (Ratrophy)