ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out

Ian Beardslee geek at falcons.co.nz
Fri Jul 15 15:04:39 PDT 2005

Hi there,

Having trouble building LFS on a laptop with other livecds (wrong kernel,
wrong gcc, wrong number of ptys etc) I thought I'd have another go at
using the LFS livecd.

I'm getting the same error message as I was getting for the 6.0 livecd as
the laptop boots from the CD ...

NET: Registered proctol family 1
NET: Registered protcol family 17
Freeing unused kernel memory: 340k freed
ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out
hdc: DMA interrupt recovery
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: status error: status 0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
ide: faied opcde was: unknown
hdc: drive not ready for command

Those last 6 lines then repeat themselves about every minute.
Occasionally there is a '.' on a new line after the 'hdc: drive not ready
command' that aftera minute the 'ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out line' appends
itself to.

I know the livecd works on a laptop I have sitting at work and I know
other livecds can boot from the laptop's cd drive.

So to me it seems that there is an option complied into the kernel that is
giving me some grief.  Does anyone know what I can do to get the cd to
boot properly.  After a bit of googling, I've seen other similar errors
ofr other distros and someone suggested

linux noacpi pci=noapic

but that didn't seem to do it.  Any other options I can pass to the kernel
to get things happening.

Cheers,

Ian