I like the LiveCD!

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jul 14 20:44:09 PDT 2005

Roger Merchberger wrote:
>         I think *everything* was found, eth0, eth1 (wireless), firewire,
> USB2.0, etc. I couldn't find anything that wasn't accounted for, even if
> I don't use it!

You missed the sound card. Sound is just not supported on the CD (and
that's bad for owners of i810-based winmodems).

> Minuses:
>
>         Where'd ifconfig go??? :-(   -- I'm an old fuddyduddy and this
> newfangled ip command really confused me no end! I finally fudged around
> with the bootscripts enough to figure out how to set up my networking...

LFS switched to iproute2. In fact, I don't like this switch because
iproute2 is not that stable (e.g. I was able to make the "tc" command
segfault). But it's LFS, and it uses iproute2 :(

>         Whilst diddling with said networking bootscripts & config files,
> unionfs barfed & lost the /etc/sysconfig directory. Rebooting
> (obviously) fixed it, and it only happened once so far.

Unionfs is indeed too buggy and in the future CDs may be limited to /usr
or dropped (in favor of cowloop?).

>         I skimmed over the note about how to customize the CD, and will
> burning a 2nd session with a newer version of a file
> *overwrite/disable/ignore* the original file if it already exists on the
> CD?

Yes, the new file will overwrite the old one.