I like the LiveCD!

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Jul 14 09:40:16 PDT 2005

Downloaded the LiveCD 6.1-2, and popped 'er in my laptop last nite. Figured
that would be a good acid test -- it's a rather rare critter.

Fujitsu Lifebook P2120, 933Mhz Crusoe Processor, 512Meg RAM, built-in
ethernet & wireless, ATI video chipset w/8 Meg Video RAM, 40G Toshiba
laptop HD, CD-burner/DVD-Rom combo drive; 2 years old.

Overall, I'm highly impressed, but I have not yet started building LFS from
it yet.

For me, here's how it broke down:

Plusses:

         distcc is included! Whoohoo! Now I can make a couple-three boot
CDs and use my wife's AMD Shuttle to improve compile times immensely.
         X.org ran *perfectly* on the machine; despite it's odd resolution
(1280x768 pixels.)
         I think *everything* was found, eth0, eth1 (wireless), firewire,
USB2.0, etc. I couldn't find anything that wasn't accounted for, even if I
don't use it!

Minuses:

         Where'd ifconfig go??? :-(   -- I'm an old fuddyduddy and this
newfangled ip command really confused me no end! I finally fudged around
with the bootscripts enough to figure out how to set up my networking... but...

         Whilst diddling with said networking bootscripts & config files,
unionfs barfed & lost the /etc/sysconfig directory. Rebooting (obviously)
fixed it, and it only happened once so far.

Questions:

         I didn't have a chance to check, but is the kernel compiled with
SMP enabled? That way I could use it on my dual Athlon system and really
get some good compiles going...

         I skimmed over the note about how to customize the CD, and will
burning a 2nd session with a newer version of a file
*overwrite/disable/ignore* the original file if it already exists on the
CD? I'm thinking of making custom network files in /etc/sysconfig/network/*
so I can have customized IP addresses for my network already built-into the
boot CD - instead of requiring DHCP. (I could also diddle with the
.bash_profile script to add environment variables for distcc automagically...)

Anyway, just thought I'd let people know how it worked for me -- overall
I'm *highly* impressed with how the system works!

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | Anarchy doesn't scale well. -- Me
zmerch at 30below.com.         |