mptscsih support in LiveCD 6.1?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jul 13 23:06:07 PDT 2005

jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> # CONFIG_FUSION is not set
>
> Assuming that is the correct driver, then it seems that it your device
> would not be supported on the CD. However, you *might* be able to copy the
> kernel config file for the LiveCD (see the BuildScripts, linux/config),
> patch the kernel with the same patches we applied (again, see the
> BuildScripts, specifically, you'd want to mimic the build commands found
> in packages/linux/Makefile), build the kernel, and burn the livecd with
> multi-session so that you have your customized kernel.

Even easier method exists, based on the fact that the complete set of
kernel headers and Makefiles is shipped on the CD.

1) Boot from the unmodified CD.
2) Edit /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.12/.config so that it contains the
following instead of the original fusion-related section:

CONFIG_FUSION=m
CONFIG_FUSION_MAX_SGE=40
CONFIG_FUSION_CTL=m

Do not set CONFIG_FUSION_LAN, it won't work.

3) Execute the following commands:

tar xf /sources/linux-2.6.11.12.tar.bz2 \
	linux-2.6.11.12/drivers/message/fusion

cd linux-2.6.11.12/drivers/message/fusion
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.12/ SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.11.12/addons/
cp *.ko /lib/modules/2.6.11.12/addons/
depmod -ae
modprobe mptctl
modprobe mptscsih

4) Use your Fusion-MPT card as you would ordinary do (but I have
absolutely no idea about that sort of cards).

Please notify the list if the method described above works for you.