Building LFS from Live CD Hint - Request for Comments

Joseph M Dupre (AVAB Inc.) dupre at avab.com
Wed Aug 31 09:37:12 PDT 2005

On 31 Aug 2005 at 0:01, livecd-request at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:

> > Well, I'm a newbie trying to build LFS using the LiveCD. I have been
> > unable to get my LCD monitor working in X. So it's very difficult
> > (and error prone) to switch between consoles and type in unfamiliar
> > commands (those sed commands are a great pain). A concise hint like
> > that one will be very useful for people like me.

I wouldn't think that would work, although I don't use X.  If you
have chrooted in one console, do you still have access to your X
environment in another?

> No offense meant, but I'd strongly suggest building LFS manually for
> the first time. Also, if you think you didn't learn anything from your
> recent attempt, then it's likely that you'll learn 10 times less by
> using someone elses scripts.

The hint mentioned does not automate the build.  You still must build
LFS manualy.  There are only 3 simple, explained scripts based on the
very steps described in LFS that make it easier to re-enter the
special build environments and load /dev should you have to restart
your computer durring the couple days it takes to build it manualy...

- Joe