Speakup Instructions

ace ace at freedomchat.org
Fri Aug 26 21:02:46 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have included a file called checkout, which is the script that will
automatically download (from CVS) and patch a kernel source tree.

Put this checkout script under /usr/src
Extract a clean source tree into /usr/src (in my case, I have
/usr/src/linux-2.6.12.5)
It is necessary that you create a symlink called linux to point to
the linux-2.6.12.5 directory.  This is because the checkout script
really has no way of checking which version of the kernel that you
are patching.  ln -s linux-2.6.12.5 linux  will do it.
Run the checkout script (first making it executable with chmod +755
checkout).  At the first prompt for anonymous login, just press enter
and, when prompted for the password, it is the single word please
The files will be downloaded and patched into the kernel.  As the
server is on a home high-speed, it may be a little slow.  After the
files are received, they will be installed to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup and patched to the kernel
source.  If there are any failures nothing will work.  After this,
you can go ahead and configure and compile the kernel as usual.
Please let me know if you require any more information or assistance.

Robby