Severe bug in trunk

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 23 03:58:46 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> So I propose to remove the "@touch $@" at the end of rules for lfs-base
> and add lfs-base to the list of .PHONY targets. This also will make
> possible to rebuild e.g. shadow automatically if an editor updates the
> version entry. If you agree with the fix, please backport the relevant
> parts of r582 into trunk.

That should be fine... I was hoping to go through and revise that part
of the build soon anyway. It should be noted that any time you stop the
build after you've entered chroot (or the build fails due to errors) you
should run 'make unmount' and remove the mounted directories for chroot,
ie, dev/pts, dev/shm, dev, proc and sys. That way it *should* be mounted
cleanly again when you run the build again. In any case, it needs to be
smoothed out.

> Unfortunately, this also means a full rebuild for me, since /dev is not
> populated either, and my openssl (and nobody knows what else) is likely
> to be miscompiled.

Sorry for the trouble, thanks for the report. I guess let's get that
into trunk then.