Severe bug in trunk

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Aug 22 21:05:05 PDT 2005

While building w3m for the utf8-newmake branch:

./mktable 100 functable.tab > functable.c
./mktable 100 ./tagtable.tab > tagtable.c
GC Warning: Couldn't read /proc/stat
GC Warning: GC_get_nprocs() returned -1
Couldn't read /proc/self/stat
GC Warning: Couldn't read /proc/stat
GC Warning: GC_get_nprocs() returned -1
Couldn't read /proc/self/stat
/bin/bash: line 1: 19624 Aborted                 ./mktable 100
functable.tab >functable.c

Looks like /proc is not mounted if one stops the build in the middle of
BLFS, reboots the computer and attempts to resume the build. Indeed, the
prep-chroot target is not made if the lfs-base is skipped (because the
/mnt/lfs/lfs-livecd/lfs-base file exists).

So I propose to remove the "@touch $@" at the end of rules for lfs-base
and add lfs-base to the list of .PHONY targets. This also will make
possible to rebuild e.g. shadow automatically if an editor updates the
version entry. If you agree with the fix, please backport the relevant
parts of r582 into trunk.

Unfortunately, this also means a full rebuild for me, since /dev is not
populated either, and my openssl (and nobody knows what else) is likely
to be miscompiled.