file.tar.gz -> file.tar.bz2 conversion

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Fri Aug 19 08:15:04 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> I have noticed that all package URLs in trunk are updated in order to
> point to $(HTTPBLFS)/.../$(DIR).tar.bz2 files. However, in many cases,
> upstream distributes only *.tar.gz files. How do you generate
> *.tar.bz2 from *.tar.gz? Attempts to zcat file.tar.gz | bzip2
> >file.tar.bz2 (in order to avoid expensive re-downloading of all
> packages) produce sha1sum mismatch.

Hi Alexander,

I cannot speak for the BLFS packages, as I have no control over them,
but for the LFS packages, it is done exactly as you showed.  I have
tested the trunk livecd a bit, and besides (html_tidy) and a lex script
error when reaching klibc, I haven't seen any sha1sum mismatches.

Which packages are giving you trouble?

Justin