Enter Problem Dell Latitude

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Aug 16 05:22:38 PDT 2005

Ahoi!

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 10:45:52PM +0200, Stephan Müller wrote:
> for being honest, i don't know what to odo with this parameter. Do i
> have to unpack the iso and edit some files?
> I'll put the original thread in the end.

  Well, you would have to append this parameter to kernel-line. You can
do that from within the boot menu (so no editing of file necessary), but
as I understand it you do not even get that. This seems to be a problem
with the graphic capabilities of the Laptop (as suspected in the thread
you reference).

  I don't have a LiveCD here to test, but IIRC the LiveCD doesn't boot
in a fancy display mode but in text mode? You wouldn't have any other
Live/Installation-CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu, SuSE, whatever) to test if
these work?

  Just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are the Dell Laptops?
The noalpic-Parameter seemed to be only necessary for pre-Pentium-III
(though not tested on Pentium-II) machines.

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
You know what we need, Hobbes? We need an attitude. Yeah, you can't be
cool if you don't have an attitude.    -- Calvin