LiveCD building status...

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Fri Aug 12 12:38:19 PDT 2005

Rumor has it that Justin R. Knierim may have mentioned these words:
>Roger Merchberger wrote:
>
>>Well, other than lfs-matrix being down for a while yesterday, things had
>>been going pretty well with my LiveCD building jazz... until now.
>
>Yeah, sorry about that.  I reorganized where some files are on the mirrors
>(and put symlinks in their place) and it took a bit to rsync.
>It is all up and running again now though.

Oh, no problem at all -- it was actually very helpful to me because then I
had to figure out what was going on with the Makefile & whatnot. I
understand how it does the downloading much better now.

;-)

[snippety]

>>[[ xfsprogs tarball ]] Downloaded it into the /sources directory, and the
>>makefile *still* cannot find it, tries to download it, and fails.
>
>You would need to put it into /mnt/lfs/lfs-livecd/packages/xfsprogs.
>Then the makefile will find it and not download it.  At least this is how
>I understand it.

I'll try that, but I don't think that's the way it works, at least not all
the time.... It seems to me that all the packages are supposed to be in
/sources -- that's where they've been going so far, but I grepped the
Makefiles and found this difference:

For the makefiles that could find the tarball & not download it, the main
line is this:

@if [ ! -f $(SRC)/$(FILE) ] ; then $(WGET) $(URL) && \
     mv $(FILE) $(SRC) ; fi

but for xfsprogs (and many others), it's:

@if [ ! -f $(FILE) ] ; then $(WGET) $(URL) ; fi

So, some of the files are supposed to stay in the package tree w/1 tarball
per directory... and some are supposed to be moved to /sources.

=-=-=

So, which way is the 'right' way? I'd be happy to go thru and fix the
'wrong' ones to make everything consistent...

(of course, I could make a 'download' target for the main Makefile and the
subordinates at the same time... ;-)

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | Anarchy doesn't scale well. -- Me
zmerch at 30below.com.         |