xorg.conf

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 12 09:29:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:41:10AM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> This produces exactly the same results as running without any modes
> specified: highest resolution that the monitor can handle at 60 Hz (even
> if it exceeds the maximum dot clock supported by the monitor).
> Therefore, my vote is "no" unless someone invents some heuristics for
> avoiding that effect for CRT monitors.

Are you sure that running Xorg without any modes will give the highest
resolution your *monitor* can handle? Wouldn't it be your video card? I
have a few machines with high-end graphics cards, but two of my monitors
can't do above 1024x768. When using the livecd, running Xorg without any
modes always gives me a 'Input not supported' error because Xorg is trying
to output in a higher resolution.