LIve cd not booting on a AMD64 CPU comp

Doug Ronne vextorspace at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:24:38 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Sudeep Mukherjee <smdeep at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Doug
>
>  Thanks for the reply. Honeslty, even though using GNU/Linux from '98 would
> not be able to do what you have suggested/done. Do you have any idea why the
> LiveCD should give me a cpu context error in the first place? Is this bug
> (whatever) documented any where?

The only thing I changed that I can possibly think would have made
that difference is I changed the processor type in the kernel config
from 486 to 386 because I had a nagging worry about compatibility of
486 with the amd64.  Though I think I remember getting a 686 kernel
running on it before.

I did see a french forum entry saying something about machine check
exception, and there is a kernel entry for that too.  Maybe it needs
to be enabled in the kernel.  Others seem to suggest it could be
memory errors.  there is a nomce boot option  you could try.

-Doug