xorg.conf

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 11 13:30:48 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Apart from auto-detecting your video card, we'd also have to auto-detect
> your monitor and the modes its capabale of. I'm not sure if that's
> possible, and if it is, obviously, I don't know how to do it.

Well, of course it's possible...how do you think `xorg -configure'
works? :)  No, I don't know how to actually do it myself, though it
probably involves loads of low-level BIOS (both mobo and video card)
probing.  For monitor probing, googling on 'DDC' and 'EDID' might be
useful.  In short, I think it'll be way too complex for the liveCD.  I'd
suggest either forcing someone to run through the prompt-based Xorg
configuration routine prior to being able to start X for the first time,
or look into how Knoppix and the like do it, there may be some
convenient wrappers/libraries for this kind of stuff already.

Regards,

Matt.