Using LiveCD boot to build a new LiveCD...

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 11 11:14:16 PDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 01:39:44PM -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Has anyone actually ever done this?

Building the LiveCD on the LiveCD? No... but I've built several LFS
systems from it and the livecd scripts don't do anything that bizarre that
you should have so much trouble.

Here's what you should be doing:
mkdir /mnt/lfs
mount /dev/[hdwhatever] /mnt/lfs
cd /mnt/lfs
svn co svn://linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/x86/tags/6.1-2 lfs-livecd
cd lfs-livecd
make

It should go smoothly from there. If you've downloaded the sources
manually, then obviously you'll also need to insert a step where you've
made a /mnt/lfs/sources dir and copied the sources there. Also because
the CD has a /sources directory you'll either need to rm it or change
/sources in the Makefile to something else along with your
/mnt/lfs/sources directory. That should be the extent of your troubles.

> 0.5) On the LiveCD, only /mnt exists - not /mnt/lfs, so before one can
> mount a drive to /mnt/lfs, one must mkdir /mnt/lfs. Certainly not a big
> bug, but it could be confusing to some. Should I bugzilla that?

I don't think so. That was intentional. A system is not expected normally
to have a /mnt/lfs directory, and if following the book *exactly* the
command to create that directory would fail. Don't want to confuse the
newbies too much. ;)

> 1) The virtual drive I was mounting was used to build LFS, the symbolic
> link from /tools to /mnt/lfs/tools still existed. The problem was, the
> drive was mounted on /mnt/lfs... so the symbolic link pointed to itself,
> and it was giving me a 'link too deep' error... which would subsequently
> b0rk unionfs (for some reason) and I would need to reset the virtual
> machine.

Hrm? This doesn't make sense to me.

> 2) The /tmp directory is still mapped to unionfs... and (I'm guessing)
> fills / when you run 'make' as I belive the downloads are held in /tmp...

Sorry what? The last two points just don't sound right.

> Any ideas for those in the know... or should I just scrap the idea
> temporarily until I get LFS6.1 built & ditch the 'build a LiveCD from the
> LiveCD' concept altogether...

Just try doing it as I've outlined above. Let me know if you have any
troubles with that.