Using LiveCD boot to build a new LiveCD...

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Aug 11 10:39:44 PDT 2005

Has anyone actually ever done this?

I've been having a lot of sniggling little problems trying this, so I'm
going to keep a running log as to the snags I've hit and how I've fixed
them (or not)...

0.5) On the LiveCD, only /mnt exists - not /mnt/lfs, so before one can
mount a drive to /mnt/lfs, one must mkdir /mnt/lfs. Certainly not a big
bug, but it could be confusing to some. Should I bugzilla that?

1) The virtual drive I was mounting was used to build LFS, the symbolic
link from /tools to /mnt/lfs/tools still existed. The problem was, the
drive was mounted on /mnt/lfs... so the symbolic link pointed to itself,
and it was giving me a 'link too deep' error... which would subsequently
b0rk unionfs (for some reason) and I would need to reset the virtual machine.

2) The /tmp directory is still mapped to unionfs... and (I'm guessing)
fills / when you run 'make' as I belive the downloads are held in /tmp...

I guess this is the "or not" part of the show... I can't seem to remove
/tmp (Device or Resource Busy) to symbolically link it to /mnt/lfs/tmp.

Any ideas for those in the know... or should I just scrap the idea
temporarily until I get LFS6.1 built & ditch the 'build a LiveCD from the
LiveCD' concept altogether...

=-=-=

For those of you just tuning in who don't know I'm nuts, lets recap: My
testing platform is Win2K. ;-) I'm booting the LFS LiveCD 6.1-2 from the
ISO image in M$ VirtualPC 2004, and I have 2 emulated 8G hard drives for
storage. This platform will build LFS rather well, amazingly.

Anyway, just some things I've stumbled across.

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????