Possible to include a tarball on LFS6.1-3?

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Thu Aug 11 07:41:07 PDT 2005

Rumor has it that Jeremy Huntwork may have mentioned these words:
>Roger Merchberger wrote
>
>>Is there a way of doing the download separately so I could do testing at
>>home (64Kbps rather sucks for doing downloads... ;-)?
>
>Yes, you could, but it would require manually downloading each package.

That would be tedious -- is there a way of running 'make' without it
deleting the source once it's done compiling it? I could run it once here
at work, then tarball up the structure and take it home, that would be OK, too.

>  I suppose we might be able to build a target into the next version of
> the scripts that will dump the urls for each package in the build to a
> wget script. That's something to think about...

Issuing a 'make snag' command or somesuch to download but not compile it
would be handy... I started going eyeballing the makefiles and they don't
look all too difficult -- if I can figure out how to set it up, I would be
*happy* to modify all the makefiles to add this feature.

If I'm not mistaken, the makefiles already check to see if the package
already exists, and if it does, it doesn't download it... so a download
only option should integrate pretty easily into the makefiles now.

>The Makefiles in trunk handle the sources a bit differently than the
>tagged version you'll be using. For the 6.1-2 scripts, you want each
>package you're going to be using to be downloaded into the
>packages/[package-name] directory. Alternatively, you could put them all
>in one spot and then create a symlink in each packages/[package-name]
>directory to the appropriate tarball or patch.
>
>A lot of work :/

Yea, that it would be. Let me know about my idea, and if you want me to get
started on that. ;-)

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!